The building at 128 Chandler Street, Worcester, was constructed in 1883 by J. R. Torrey Razor Co. The business was begun in a very small way in 1858, by Joseph R. Torrey, with eight employees. Initially, just razor strops and dressing cases were made, under the name J.R. Torrey & Co. In 1880, J. R. Torrey partnered with Joseph Turner, a practical razor maker from Sheffield, England, and incorporated J. R. Torrey Razor Co. in order to begin producing straight razors. The main building was erected and, after several years of prosperous growth, a large addition was added, in 1905.